Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Year.

Many years ago my father worked shift work and had to leave for the day shift very early in the morning. One year he worked Christmas Day and so was long gone before I got my little head out of bed. The adults decided that presents would wait until my Father got home from work. At this point in time I see the reasoning but at the time it seemed like yet another cruel trick played by big people on little people. I supposed I was five or six years old at the time.

To fill in the very long day. Remember this is before 150 television channels and it was when we lived in Northern Ontario so it was very cold and probably snowy too. On Christmas Day there was no one outside to play with anyway, they were all inside playing with their new Christmas gifts.!! To fill the long day my Mother helped me learn, "Twas the Night Before Christmas" by heart.

"Twas the Night Before Christmas" has shaped my vision of the holiday ever since, and I still remember the words after all these years.

"And I heard him exclaim ere he drove out of sight, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night"

No comments:

Post a Comment