Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Best Part of Wood Working

   The Village Carpenter, Kari Hultman http://villagecarpenter.blogspot.com/ is one of my favourite bloggers and recently she wrote a blog about the best part of the woodworking project process. It appears that once again Kari and I are on the same page.  She talks about the planning stage of the project, the time when she can think and dream about what might be as being her favourite part of the project.


  I don't want to take anything away from the pleasure experienced when the project is done and the family member or customer is pleased and smiling.  There is certainly few pleasures that can complete with the joy I felt yesterday re-assembling the crib I made 2 years ago to accommodate   the next grand baby. (see blogthetoolstore.blogspot.com for details).  But there is a wonderful set of feelings that come with the imaging and planning stages of a project.  While I imagine what I'll build and what it will look like I am not constrained by the mighty forces of reality or gravity.  The merciless clock does not enter to the imaginary stages and everything is hand cut joinery and fully carved.


  Ultimately the project is built and it always incorporates some of the fantastic imaginary plans and dreams.  Occasionally the project disappoints, but not often, usually I learn something new and always my skills are improved. Maybe that is the best part of wood working?

1 comment:

  1. Gain immediate access to 16,000 woodworking projects.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking blueprints with STEP BY STEP instructions, photos and blueprints to make all projects smooth and easy.

    ReplyDelete