Thursday, March 24, 2011

Latest Curve in the Learning Road



   




















 On Wednesday I descended in to the basement workshop with a plan.  I had been going to make a Box Joint Jig like the one from the Router Workshop for sometime now.  Months actually, in truth I bought the 1/2 Baltic Birch at last year's Kitchener Wood show, like about 12 months.
   
   Anyway, better late than never. 
   
   I will spare this blog's readers the full story of broken routers and blue air. ( you can get the whole story at blogthetoolstore.blogspot.com, if you want).


  You can see the corners of the poplar box that I made using the box joint jig. The jig is set up for 1/4 cuts, I am going to experiment with 3/8 and see if I can control the cut along the 1/4 guide. If it doesn't work, I'll make a 3/8 jig too.


  I made about four sets of joints before I got the hang of setting the jig up and now I think it will be fast and easy.  In the course of the day's adventures I lost my 1/4 brass spacer bar.  Such a pain, I use those spacer bars all the time.


 The colour of the box is sort of interesting, it is straight orange shellac.  It is a very old fashioned looking colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment